Mobile security company Lookout was preparing for the launch of its new anti-theft feature, Theft Alerts. At the time of launch, phone theft was a hot topic due to increasing crime rates across the country. To help generate awareness for the problem and drive product downloads, we launched a rolling media campaign that included a data study illustrating the phone theft epidemic. The media campaign was coupled with social media creative to heighten impact.
Over a one month period, Lookout secured 85+ pieces of print, online, and video coverage in mainstream and targeted outlets. An exclusive review in the WSJ kicked off a wave of coverage. Our efforts even lead to the coining of a new term: Theftie, the email alert Lookout sends when your phone may have been stolen.
- Wall Street Journal, To Catch a Phone Thief, Take a Theftie
- Fox News, Smartphones’ Trove of Data Worth More Than Silver
- Los Angeles Times, 68% of Smartphone Theft Victims Never Recover Device, Report Says
- Business Insider, People Are Willing to Go to Extreme Lengths to Retrieve Their Phones
- Mashable, An App That Fights Back Against Smartphone Thieves